Sunday, September 20, 2009

Pro-Life Apologetics

PRO-ABORTION ARGUMENT:
" Every person has the right to choose. It would be unfair to restrict a woman's choice by prohibiting abortion."



PRO-LIFE ANSWER: Part I
Any civilized society restricts the individual's freedom to choose whenever that choice would harm an innocent person.

When I present the prolife position on school campuses, I often begin by saying:

I've been introduced as being prolife, but I want to make clear that I'm really prochoice. I believe that a person has the right to do whatever she wants with her own body. It's none of our business what choice she makes, and we have no right to impose our morals on others. Whether I like someone's choices or not is irrelevant. She should have the freedom to make her own choices.

I'm normally greeted by surprised looks and audible affirmation, including smiles, nods, and even applause. I have used the sacred buzzwords of the prochoice movement --rights, freedom, and choice. I have sounded tolerant, open-minded, and fair. Then I say this:

Yes, I'm prochoice. That's why I believe every man has the right to rape a woman if that is his choice. After all, it's his body, and neither you nor I have the right to tell him what to do with it. He's free to choose, and it's none of our business what choice he makes. We have no right to impose our morals on him. Whether I like the choice or not, he should have the freedom to make his own choices.

After I let the shock settle in a bit, I explain that I am not really prochoice when it comes to rape. I ask them to point out the fallacy of the "it's his body and he can choose what he wants" argument. They realize that in emphasizing the man's right to choose I have completely ignored the rights of the innocent woman. My hope is that they also realize it is not always a virtue to be prochoice.

Laws against false advertising restrict a businessman's right to free speech. Laws against discrimination infringe on the freedom of choice of those who would treat minorities unfairly. When others' rights are at stake--and particularly when their lives are at stake--any decent society must restrict the individual's freedom of choice. Is an innocent person being damaged by a woman's choice to have an abortion? If not, no problem. If so, it is a major problem that society cannot afford to ignore.

No comments: